Our guest speaker for our Breakfast Seminar in April will be Michael White. He is currently building the Drug-Safe Australia Foundation to address other increasingly important problems such as Drug-Safe Community, Drug-Safe Sports and Drug-Safe School programmes.
He has written several articles addressing Alcohol and Drug abuse and he is also a lecturer on alcohol & other drugs at Sydney University
His recent article focuses on how the impact of drug abuse upon a business can be crippling, and in some cases are as deadly as the worst type of cancer. Although this does not occur in every workplace, it is still beneficial to be aware of the situation.
“Almost 70% of illegal drug abusers are employed… and much of the time illicit drug users are hard to detect or are protected by a “conspiracy of silence” amongst their work mates and it’s only when a serious incident occurs that you’re made aware of the issue”
To ensure a drug safe work place there are five important points to keep you Drug and Alcohol Aware.
1. Develop a Drug & Alcohol Policy that is well constructed and sensitive.
2. Run education workshops for your staff that address the tough questions and explains the D&A Policy.
3. Train your managers to be able to identify Fit for Work issues.
4. Commence a random drug screening programme.
5. Establish an Employee Assistance counselling facility.
This is a must attend seminar for all managers and team leaders to gain the necessary tools and skills in handling Drug and Alcohol abuse in the workplace.
If you would like to know more, please contact any of our consultants on 9251 7339.
We look forward to seeing you in April!